Are you looking for the best health insurance companies in 2022? If yes, you are on the right blog because this article explains the 7 best health insurance companies, what they are known for, pros and cons, etc.
For most people, buying health insurance is an annual ritual. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that 68 million Americans are covered by one or more private health insurance plans. That number grows every year as more people become aware of the benefits of owning their policy.
You might be wondering which company is the best for providing coverage for medical services and other related expenses. In this article, you will learn about some of the best health insurance companies in 2022 and what make them stand out from their peers.
The best Health Insurance Companies in 2022
1. Blue Cross Blue Shield
Blue Cross Blue Shield is a health insurance company known to provide health insurance in the United States with over 40 years of experience in the field. They offer health insurance services to over 1 million people across the U.S. and globally. They have a long history of being the best at customer satisfaction and, as such, have been ranked as one of the best health insurance companies.
Blue Cross Blue Shield offers corporate health insurance, individual insurance, Medicare, Medicaid, dental insurance, and other health-related services and products. Blue Cross Blue Shield is a coalition of health insurance organizations that consists of 35 separate insurance companies. It offers a variety of insurance plans like health maintenance, flexible spending account, and health savings accounts. They also have an impressive record of customer service ratings.
Some of the Health Insurance plans they offer include:
- Health Care Flexible Spending accounts which involve a joint account, where both employer and employees can save money (usually deducted directly from their salary) to apply for health care.
- Health savings account: This plan is similar to a healthcare flexible spending account but with the condition of having high deductible health insurance.
- Health Reimbursement Arrangements: This plan is for empires, and it involves setting aside funds to reimburse employees for their personal or family medical expenses.
- Other plans include maintenance organization plans, preferred provider organization plans, and lots more.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield health care covers many countries, so you can always enjoy BCBS’s health insurance plan if it’s available in your state.
- They offer many helpful health insurance plans, so there are many coverage options.
- Most healthcare providers and doctors trust Blue Cross Blue Shield, and as such, it is easy to find the best place for health care.
- It might be difficult to know the exact plan to choose, as the company is broken into regional companies that usually function separately.
Visit the Blue Cross Blue Shield
2. Kaiser Permanente
Kaiser Permanente is an American organization that offer managed care services. The health care system Kaiser offer aims at delivering integrated healthcare services, that is, a continuous healthcare service, as opposed to a fee for the service healthcare system.
Kaiser Permanente is a collision of three different but interdependent entities: Kaiser Foundation Health Plan Inc, Kaiser Foundation Hospitals, and permanent Medical Groups. Kaiser Permanente is available in eight states: Hawaii, Washington, Oregon, California, Colorado, Maryland, Virginia, and Georgia. They offer classic, essential, HSA, and Advantage plans.
- The classic plan involves the user paying a co-pay per doctor’s visit. The plan offers deductibles ranging from $1,500 to $5,000 yearly.
- Essential Plan: This plan covers co-play options for outpatient services for health services that do not require patients to be admitted overnight in the hospital. After paying the yearly deductible, the outpatient does not need to pay a co-pay, as the plan already covers the co-pay. Though the amount for deductible may differ by state, the amount ranges from $1,500 to $7,500.
- Advantage Plan: This plan offers co-pay for primary health care for only two specialist visits, prescription for drugs, and emergency or after-hour visits. This plan covers the co-pay before the yearly deductible is paid, and after the deductible is paid, there’s no charge for previously rendered services.
- Health Savings Plan: Kaiser offers health savings plan options to all customers. This plan involves saving money for your deductible or other health-related expenditures. The amount for this plan differs for individuals and families; individuals pay a deductible of $5,000, and a family pays a deductible of $10,000.
Kaiser Permanente rank as one of the best health insurance companies because of it’s record of customer service satisfaction and it’s prominence as a trusted health insurance company. Also, through it’s health savings plan, Kaiser helps the user save for deductibles and health-related fees, thus making it easy for customers to pay for expenses.
- Kaiser offers satisfactory customer service.
- They offer health savings account option to help the user save for health-related expenditures.
- They offer a variety of health plans.
- Kaiser is available in a few states and, as such, has a limited area coverage.
Visit Kaiser Permanente
Aetna is a prominent insurance company ranked as one of the oldest U.S. leading healthcare insurance providers, operating since 1853. They offer services such as health insurance, Medicaid insurance, dental insurance, disability insurance, and group life insurance in all 50 states in the U.S. They offer wide-scale customer services with over 180 million health insurance policies.
The company also has an added advantage of financial strength. They’ve been named ‘A’ group of insurers for their financial status, which vouches for their ability to care for customers’ claims. They offer satisfactory service to their customers with a rating of 4 out of 5 (Insure.com).
Some of the services they offer include:
Family Plans: This plan provides coverage for the individual, spouse, and children for health-related services such as doctor’s visits, prescription drugs, preventative care, and hospitalization.
Plans and Provisions
- Health Saving Account(HSA): Aetna is also concerned about their customer, and as such, they offer a plan known as HSA, which provides a system for saving money for deductibles and other health-related fees.
- Plan for your Health: This is a public education program aimed at providing educating customers on health insurance policies and the benefits and personal finances. Aetna offers this extension service to help customers be more informed about their health insurance purchases to help them choose the right plan.
- Mobile Insurance App: Aetna made provisions for a mobile app where customers can access their account information and personal health records, receive 24/7 medical advice from a nurse and manage disability and absence benefits and other health insurance-related issues.
- Other benefits Aetna offers include affordable options, preventative care such as immunizations, and the benefit of not having to fill out claims forms as it will be taken care of by the insurance company.
- Aetna has an impressive customer service rating for satisfactory service.
- They have excellent financial strength.
- They also offer affordable.
- Aetna does not offer many short-term insurance options compared to other service providers.
Cigna is a health insurance service company that offer health insurance and health services to about 13 states in the U.S., namely: Arizona, Mississippi, Missouri, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Utah, Kansas, Colorado, Carolina, Virginia, and Illinois. Cigna is known for its excellent financial savings and beneficial Insurance plans. They offer affordable and quality health insurance services with the aim of improving the health and well-being of their customers.
They also have an impressive record of effective and fast service. They partner with the best health care providers to ensure quality service. Cigna offset comprehensive health insurance plans which cover essential health care needs. In addition to their plan options, deductibles, and co-pay options, Cigna offers attractive benefits, including access to a home delivery pharmacist, reward programs, a tele-health connection program, a health information helpline, and $0 annual checkups.
- They offer $0 annual checkups to their customers.
- Cigna offers a health information helpline that runs 24/7.
- They also have a mobile app that helps keep track of medical care, bills, and health-related goals.
- Cigna 8s is available to only 13 states in the U.S. and has a limited coverage area, which is a disadvantage for those whose country does not have Cigna.
5. United Healthcare
United Healthcare is an American multinational company that offers managed health care and health insurance services. They offer health insurance and health services worldwide. United Health care is ranked the second largest healthcare provider with a revenue of about US$285. 273 billion and a market value of $400. 7 billion; that is to say that they have an impressive standing in terms of financial strength.
They offer a wide range of plans such as Medicaid services, Short term insurance, self-employed health insurance, Triterm medical, employee plans, supplemental plans, individual and family marketplace plans, student plans, and others.
Plans and Provisions
- Medicare Plans: This plan is for people aged 65 and older. It covers health-related expenses for disability or special medical conditions.
- Medicaid Insurance Plan: This plan covers low-income individuals, pregnant women, children, and people with disability.
- Supplemental Insurance: This plan covers dental and vision insurance aimed at helping customers plan for unexpected situations in the future.
- Short-term Health Insurance: This plan is flexible health insurance that covers health-related expenses for a period of time or a particular situation.
United Healthcare stands out as one of the best health insurance companies for various reasons, such as its excellent financial strength, affordable health plans, access to opine care, offers discount plans, and provides an efficient option for those who want to manage their health care.
- They provide online health care services.
- United Health care has impressive financial strength.
- They offer a wide scale of beneficial health insurance plans.
- Prices can be higher
Visit the United Healthcare
6. Molina Healthcare
Molina Health care is an insurance company that offers health care services and health insurance to over 4.8 million people across 18 states in the United States. They offer various coverage options, plan choices, and discount rates which may vary by state. They offer healthy health plans with a low co-pay and cover basic medical services such as doctor’s visits, emergency services, vaccination, prenatal, X-rays, dental and vision insurance, and prescription drugs.
They also offer wellness packages such as preventative health care services to handle health emergencies or accidents. Molina Health care is a good health insurance option as they offer reliable services, 24/6 customer care, a flexible payment system, and a wide range of plans.
- They offer a good wellness care program
- They also offer an efficient preventative care program that covers essential health care services.
- Molina Healthcare offers services to a limited area, as they do not operate globally.
Visit Molina Healthcare
Oscar is a health insurance company operating since 2012 and has maintained a satisfactory customer service, offered to over 506,000 members across 19 states. Oscar is the best know for its convenience, as they offer the use of a mobile app that is very convenient for managing health insurance and related issues.
In addition to convenient service, they offer a transparent claims proving system that makes it easy for customers to understand and navigate through the insurance system. They also have excellent customer service and have been recognized as one of the best insurance companies. Their health insurance plans have their levels, namely: Simple, saver, and classic health policies.
Simple Health Policies
This plan is the most affordable among the three levels. It covers 100% health care cost once you have paid fees that cover health care services (pit-of-pocket maximum). This plan is preferable if you do not require frequent medical services. This plan is for those under the age of 30 or those who may be older than 30 but faced hardships that hindered them from getting insurance (hardship exemption).
Saver Health Policies
For this plan, the deductibles and the out-of-pocket maximum are different from the simple category. You start co-insurance once you’ve covered the deductible for a Saver health plan. This means sharing medical fees with the insurance company. Then, at the point where the out-of-pocket maximum is covered, the company will cover all health-related costs.
Classic Health Policies
This is the most expensive out of the three levels. This plan offers lower deductibles, ensuring easy co-pay and co-insurance access. The out-of-pocket expenses are cheaper for this plan, but the monthly premium is expensive compared to other plans.
Other services provided by Oscar include:
Doctor On-call Service: This tele-health system lets you connect with doctors who work with Oscar using the Oscar app. You can request a doctor call, chat with the doctor and even send pictures of your symptoms. The doctor will diagnose you and send a prescription to a pharmacy for you.
Concierge Team: Oscar has a concierge team that assists customers with health-related services such as solving billing issues, checking for available doctors, and providing answers to insurance policy-related questions through the Oscar app.
- They offer efficient mobile apps to endure convenience.
- They also offer a digital health care experience.
- Oscar offers a health care program that allows you to talk to a doctor for $0.
- Oscar has limited area coverage, as it is available in only 19 States.
- Oscar is slightly more expensive compared to other service providers.
- They have a shorter service history compared to most insurance companies.
We have already made a list of the best seven health insurance companies in 2022. So if you are looking for a health insurance company, and you’ve gotten to this point, you should have made up your mind on the health insurance company to purchase their healthcare plan.